For momma’s looking for a little spice in their dinner routine, I truly recommend Hello Fresh! I’ve always enjoyed cooking for my family, but fell into a rut of same old, same old. Hello Fresh sent healthy ingredients weekly with easy to follow recipes that tasted delicious! It definitely came in handy while Matt was deployed. But there were some recipes that tasted so damn delicious, I knew he would want to try them too, so I saved the recipe cards! However, it’s not as easy to recreate the meal when the ingredients aren’t in front of you. Here is my doctored up version of one of my favorite Hello Fresh Pearl Couscous recipes.
4 Frozen Chicken Breasts
4 Tablespoons Grass-Fed Butter (Kerrygold)
1 large head of Broccoli
1 Container Sliced Bella Mushrooms
4-6 Thyme Stalks
2 cups Pearl Couscous
1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
2 Tablespoons Sour Cream
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
1. Cook your chicken breast. Frozen breasts are easy to have on hand and stay moist when you cook them. Spray your pan with olive oil, put the burner on medium, place chicken breasts in pan and cover with lid (the steam helps to cook them).
2. Start a pot of water for your broccoli and another for your Couscous. Read the label on your Couscous. While the exact amount of water isn’t important for broccoli, it most definitely is for Couscous. Our package also called for us to add butter and salt.
3. Chop up your veggies. Cut the broccoli into florets, dice the mushrooms, cut the thyme from your garden (that’s romantic, but you can grab it from the store too), finely chop the shallot.
4. Start a pan for the broth. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high. Add in shallot and mushrooms.
5. Now that the water is boiling, put your broccoli in the broccoli pot and your Couscous in the Couscous pot with butter and salt. Cook Couscous according to directions. Ours said to cover, reduce to simmer, and let cook for 8-10 minutes.
6. Let’s check on the chicken. Flip it. Salt it. If the chicken breasts are thick, I like to cut them into slices so they cook evenly. That’s one trick for frozen breasts 😉
7. Once the mushrooms are cooked down, add in Garlic and cook. Til fragrant (approx 30 seconds). Add chicken broth and thyme. Simmer for about 5-10 minutes, then remove thyme stalks. Add sour cream and Dijon mustard, remove from heat and mix until sour cream is dissolved.
8. Drain broccoli when it turns bright green and mix with salt and 1-2 tablespoons butter.
9. To serve, scoop Couscous into bowl. Put broccoli on one side and chicken on the other. Spoon lots of sauce over everything. The flavor is out of this world!!
This recipe made about 5-6 adult meals, so as always we Package the rest up as “meal-prepped” lunches. To me, the texture of the pearl Couscous with the combination of intense, savory flavor puts this dish at a 10/10!! Let me know what you think in the comments below!