My beautiful sister Anna is expecting a baby in May!! We are so excited for yet another girl to join the Kassuba gain. Finnley Elsie, Elsie being our Grandma Viv’s middle name. There is just something the gets me about a unique first name and a family middle name (hence Cambri Joan and Porter Lee).
Nursery and baby shower will have the same theme: Gray and Purple Elephants, with maybe some other circus animal appearances. My mom is super crafty and will be doing most of the shower, but that doesn’t stop my craft bone from itching! I decided to make this cute string art board for the nursery that will double as baby shower decor.
- Picture jawbone hangers
Seems simple enough, but this project wasn’t without mistakes.
- First, I had to prepare the board. I definitely recommend one solid board to work with on string art. However, we were snowed in so I had to screw together some boards we had in the garage.
- Paint or stain. My boards were pretreated so a stain wouldn’t work. I painted gray using acrylic paint.
- Find your design and either print it out or draw it out on paper.
- Place on the board and begin nailing in. The different boards here made this hard but it shouldn’t be. Just nail about 1/2 in- 1 inch apart.
- String. This could be random or you could try to follow some pattern. I did a combination of both until the elephant got the look I wanted.
Disclaimer: originally I intended on doing string art for the letters, but when I was nailing, I realized it wasn’t going to work for what I wanted. I did some doctoring up and got some help from my BFF Allysa at Siren of the Lakes to get the pretty finished vinyl look I needed.