On my first couple days of this crazy diet plan, I found my self craving (dyingggg) for something sweet! But what besides berries, dates, and bananas could possibly be good for you and sweet at the same time?! The more disgusting it looks, the sweeter the taste: Plantains! 🍌🍌
Here’s how easy it is to prepare: in a frying pan, melt 1 tbls. coconut oil. Place cut up plantain in pan, lightly salt. Cook until edges start turning golden brown and flip over. When the second side is golden…done ✅ Side note: the black one pictured is too “disgusting looking” and was not good when I peeled it open.
But why? A lot of strict diets eliminate super sweet fruits like bananas and grapes. Is it still healthy if it tastes good?
- Plantains are actually vegetables
- Has fiber, which reduces risk of heart disease, diabetes, and some cancers
- Good source of potassium (provides 20% of your daily value in just one cup)
- Has beta-carotene, which the body needs to produce Vitamin A (supports eye function, healthy skin, and attack free radicals)
- Calcium for your bones and teeth
- Vitamin C for your immune system, about 50g per plantain
- Vitamin B6 that support brain function
So there you have it! Run to your local grocery store and try one out for the first time! 💚Green are less sweet and can be used to make chips (like for nachos) or the dark brown plantains would be the sweetest for dessert chips 🖤 I cut mine like banana chips, but I know it’s traditional to cut lengthwise.
Leave a comment with how you prepared yours!