Something about pushing a baby out that just makes your butt go flat, can any momma’s relate? It’s because during pregnancy, your spine actually changes to have an exaggerated curve, accentuating that booty. Then you have your sweet bundle of joy and are no longer carrying that extra weight load, so the spine returns to normal and Tada…there goes your butt. So it’s obvious that developing my gluteus Maximus after baby was pretty high on my to-do list. This exercise was my go-to, and when you try it, you’ll know why.
I call it… Bent Over Glute Kickbacks. Sounds simple, right? I find with my clients it’s easiest to choose names that describe the action, so you never forget what you’re doing. And believe me, you won’t forget this one.
- Use a cable machine with an ankle attachment (or if your gym is lame and doesn’t have one, you can use the triangle handle).
- Bend over so that your arms are about hip height on the cable machine. The lower they are, the more range of motion you will get in your hip.
- Keep your knee tucked, this provides for the maximum force generated
- Kick backwards, squeezing that booty so your body becomes a parallel line to the floor. You’ll notice it’s hard to control the weight, so perform the exercise slow, keeping constant attention on keeping every muscle tight. You will even feel it in your balancing leg.
- Return to the bent knee position and repeat.
- If the weight feels heavy, you might feel the need to open the hip. This is not recommended. Try a lower weight if necessary because you really want the motion to be just back and forth (not turning to the side) as it recruits different muscles and puts the hip in an odd position for this exercise.
What makes this exercise so intense is that it directly recruits those bum muscles that are packed with power, which in turns mean you can lift a lot of weight here. It also recruits every stabilization muscle in your legs, not just the working leg, but the balancing leg as well.
Give it a try and comment below with your feedback!! 😘
3 thoughts on “My Favorite Butt Exercise”
#1 my butt just cramped up reading that 😬
#2 is there a way to do this at home without any machines?
Lol. Yes you can do it at home on all fours with ankle weights or band 😊🍑
Yes, you can modify this for at home. Get on all fours and do the (donkey) kickback! Since you aren’t attached to the cable weights, you could do more reps (like 50-100) to still feel that burn. But if you ever get to use the cable machine for this exercise, I’m telling you, you’re life will be changed 🙌🏼🙌🏼